The Keto Party Survival Guide
There’s an office party, holiday gathering or birthday coming up. Oh no! How are you going to resist temptation? It’s a crisis that we all face when we know we will be confronted with tempting foods that can completely derail our progress. Here’s a few things that worked for me.
- Don’t show up hungry. It’s hard enough to deal with temptations when you aren’t hungry, but add hunger into the mix and you are done. So, eat up before the event. Have a few pieces of cheese with butter and bacon, or a couple of hard boiled eggs, or even go full out and eat a fatty steak. When you are satiated, the other foods won’t even look appealing.
- Bring your own treats and make sure there is enough to share. A great dip like Cheesey Buffalo Chicken Dip and pork rinds, a cheese, meat and veggie tray, Keto Fudgy Brownies, or Keto Chocolate Chip Cookies will surely fit in and you won’t have to divulge your secret unless you really want to. This way you can partake in the festivities and keep your promise to yourself. No guilt and all the glory!
- If someone is really pushing a certain food on you, like your boss’ wife and her famous lasagna, try this: “I’m so sorry, it looks incredible, but I’ve recently found out that I’m allergic to (fill in the blank).” Or, “I hope you understand and forgive me, but I can’t eat that anymore, I’ve recently been diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I really have to watch my health.” Or, “I wish I could have that, but eating (fill in the blank) gives me migraines. You did a nice job and it looks amazing.”
- What about alcohol? There are many keto approved cocktails you can have. Mainly spirits like Gin and Vodka with a sugar free mixer and dry wines like Cabernet Sauvignon. So, raise a glass, but try to keep it a one drink.
- Prepare yourself mentally. Make sure you remind yourself with your affirmations or by restating to yourself why you began this way of eating before you event. Say it out loud to yourself in a mirror. Then take a moment to visualize your goal. Really see yourself at your goal. Savor your snack or meal and prepare to enjoy the event with your best self forward.